SEA Jam 05
What can I say? This dance camp has been quite a splendid experience for me. Excellent instructors from have come all the way from London, Japan, The United States of America and Sweden to share and to inspire us to reach for new highs in Lindy Hop.
Despite the relatively tight and gruelling schedule, I guess everyone had a really good time learning new steps and routines from the various instructors like Dax Hock, Dan & Christie Guest, Mattias Lundmark and the man himself, Frankie Manning.
The camp was also a great opportunity to mingle with new found friends from overseas. Got to know a few friends from Beijing, Japan, Australia and London. There were also great after class activities with all that crazy amount of social dancing by the beach, competitions, drinking.
But one particular event stood out. It was the Midnight Madness programme!!! For 2 running nights, there were items put up by the various instructors that sent everyone cracking up as it there was no tomorrow. It was probably the best live entertainment show I've ever caught. Better than "Whose Line Is It Anyway?" Yes!!! Better than that!
Dan and Chirstie imitating the animals they saw in the Singapore Zoo, Dax Hock and Takumi showing the "influences" that Lindy Hop has done to the culture of Japan and how it has influenced Sumo Wrestling, Akkido and the traditional tea ceremonies. And of course Mattias and Sinclair are alway hamming it up for the crowd.
Of course along with the highs came a the lows. The serious lack of sleep has finally taken its toll on me as I think my body's resistance against viruses has crumbled and I have once again succumbed to the flu bug. That aside, there were a few crap follows who should have been there at all. I'm sorry but I'm being totally frank. I mite not be good but I'm sure I do know how to follow a lot better that a few of those follows. Some really felt totally unmovable or they were perpetually on auto steering. Eh... they can go dance circles around me. I don't care. Oh well... maybe some people thought I was crap too. Who cares.
Anyway, having made the decision with Jo to not take part in the competition was something that I would not regret. We wouldn't have done ourselves justice if didn't perform up to standard. Maybe next year... Christie made me promise that I had to take part next year. Sheesh~ Stress siah.
That aside, I took part in the Jack and Jill competition with Huimin and Jack & Jack competition with Alex. Didn't expect to win and of course I didn't. I just wanted to get a kick out of being in the competition. For the fun of it. Hehe... and I sure did! There were lots of wild dancing, throws, ariels and stuff and the eventual Jack & Jill winners were Jo and this unknown dude... think his name was Dan. And the winners of the Jack & Jack were Marcus and Chris from Aussieland. Tsk tsk... they sure did set the floor on fire with the X-rated dancing!!! Hehe~
Finally SEA Jam 05 closed with more social dancing... and I managed to get the email of the really cute Japanese girl that I was eyeing over the weekend! Heehee~ Hope she writes back!!!
What can I say? This dance camp has been quite a splendid experience for me. Excellent instructors from have come all the way from London, Japan, The United States of America and Sweden to share and to inspire us to reach for new highs in Lindy Hop.
Despite the relatively tight and gruelling schedule, I guess everyone had a really good time learning new steps and routines from the various instructors like Dax Hock, Dan & Christie Guest, Mattias Lundmark and the man himself, Frankie Manning.
The camp was also a great opportunity to mingle with new found friends from overseas. Got to know a few friends from Beijing, Japan, Australia and London. There were also great after class activities with all that crazy amount of social dancing by the beach, competitions, drinking.
But one particular event stood out. It was the Midnight Madness programme!!! For 2 running nights, there were items put up by the various instructors that sent everyone cracking up as it there was no tomorrow. It was probably the best live entertainment show I've ever caught. Better than "Whose Line Is It Anyway?" Yes!!! Better than that!
Dan and Chirstie imitating the animals they saw in the Singapore Zoo, Dax Hock and Takumi showing the "influences" that Lindy Hop has done to the culture of Japan and how it has influenced Sumo Wrestling, Akkido and the traditional tea ceremonies. And of course Mattias and Sinclair are alway hamming it up for the crowd.
Of course along with the highs came a the lows. The serious lack of sleep has finally taken its toll on me as I think my body's resistance against viruses has crumbled and I have once again succumbed to the flu bug. That aside, there were a few crap follows who should have been there at all. I'm sorry but I'm being totally frank. I mite not be good but I'm sure I do know how to follow a lot better that a few of those follows. Some really felt totally unmovable or they were perpetually on auto steering. Eh... they can go dance circles around me. I don't care. Oh well... maybe some people thought I was crap too. Who cares.
Anyway, having made the decision with Jo to not take part in the competition was something that I would not regret. We wouldn't have done ourselves justice if didn't perform up to standard. Maybe next year... Christie made me promise that I had to take part next year. Sheesh~ Stress siah.
That aside, I took part in the Jack and Jill competition with Huimin and Jack & Jack competition with Alex. Didn't expect to win and of course I didn't. I just wanted to get a kick out of being in the competition. For the fun of it. Hehe... and I sure did! There were lots of wild dancing, throws, ariels and stuff and the eventual Jack & Jill winners were Jo and this unknown dude... think his name was Dan. And the winners of the Jack & Jack were Marcus and Chris from Aussieland. Tsk tsk... they sure did set the floor on fire with the X-rated dancing!!! Hehe~
Finally SEA Jam 05 closed with more social dancing... and I managed to get the email of the really cute Japanese girl that I was eyeing over the weekend! Heehee~ Hope she writes back!!!


3 Comments:
heh, the guy's name is Ben, not dan!
12:03 pm, March 02, 2005
Hehe... I didnt know his name! At least it was a close sounding guess!!! :P
12:11 am, March 03, 2005
heya charles! wah, you have been taking ur lindy hop career pretty seriously man! can't wait to see how good you are now! haha, guess that's as much as i can do when it comes to lindy hop these days; just observe...lol....anyways, hope you are happy =)
10:15 pm, March 06, 2005
Post a Comment
<< Home