Song-Writing. How Does It Work?
Song-writing. That's what I did today. Phoebe asked me how does it work for me? How do I write a song? Do I come up with poetry or some lyrics first, and add the melody later? Or do I work it the other way round? What sparks the entire process of song-writing?
This series of questions actually set me thinking for the rest of the day. How do I work it out? The composition of the melody, the lyrics, the arrangement of the song has to be planned out... but because I fuction almost 100% on feel, everything that comes along is more or less spontaneous, sudden inspired moments that lead to the eventual sight of me scampering for my pen and paper with my guitar strapped around my body as I attempt to notate the idea as I've got a notoriously short memory span.
As most songs are usually about matters of the heart, its really a challenge for me to be writing songs about breaking up, failing relationships, loss of loved ones when I've not experienced any of these before. How do I write about such subjects then? Well, I put those counselling sessions with friends to use. I tap into their experiences and work from there. Alternatively, I just dream up of different scenarios that I could possibly develop ideas from.
I've tried writing about life too... but I'm only 23 and have only been through that little bit in life. So it's really tough to write about it too... but yes, I could make it all up with my warped sense of imagination. You'll never know what might hit me the very next moment.
Anyway, I've read somewhere that the truly creative people are pretty depressed and highly emotional. Heh... Guess I'm in the depressed and emotional category. Maybe, one day I'll unleash the creative side of me too. And perhaps, I'll manage to put it to good use!
Alrighty, gotta go back to work now. Gotta try to finish up the friggin song. I'm awful with completing songs... so I'd gotta force this one down!!! Wish me luck! :)
This series of questions actually set me thinking for the rest of the day. How do I work it out? The composition of the melody, the lyrics, the arrangement of the song has to be planned out... but because I fuction almost 100% on feel, everything that comes along is more or less spontaneous, sudden inspired moments that lead to the eventual sight of me scampering for my pen and paper with my guitar strapped around my body as I attempt to notate the idea as I've got a notoriously short memory span.
As most songs are usually about matters of the heart, its really a challenge for me to be writing songs about breaking up, failing relationships, loss of loved ones when I've not experienced any of these before. How do I write about such subjects then? Well, I put those counselling sessions with friends to use. I tap into their experiences and work from there. Alternatively, I just dream up of different scenarios that I could possibly develop ideas from.
I've tried writing about life too... but I'm only 23 and have only been through that little bit in life. So it's really tough to write about it too... but yes, I could make it all up with my warped sense of imagination. You'll never know what might hit me the very next moment.
Anyway, I've read somewhere that the truly creative people are pretty depressed and highly emotional. Heh... Guess I'm in the depressed and emotional category. Maybe, one day I'll unleash the creative side of me too. And perhaps, I'll manage to put it to good use!
Alrighty, gotta go back to work now. Gotta try to finish up the friggin song. I'm awful with completing songs... so I'd gotta force this one down!!! Wish me luck! :)


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home